United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)
USDA's Rural Utilities Service (RUS) provides funding for infrastructure and/or improvements to rural communities including electric power and telecommunications services. Rural Utilities Service's ReConnect Loan and Grant program is the primary funding vehicle available to cooperatives.
- ReConnect Loan and Grant Program
- NRTC Funding Alert - ReConnect 4 (PDF)
- ReConnect Program Overview
- Rural Utilities Service/Economic Development Administration Joint Resource Guide
National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA)
NTIA will be administering grants created under the bipartisan Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (IIJA) passed in 2021. IIJA provides $65 billion to expand high-speed internet access by funding planning, infrastructure, and adoption efforts that promote digital equity and inclusion.
- Internet for All
- Broadband Equity, Access, and Deployment (BEAD) Program ($42.5 billion)
- Tribal Broadband Connectivity Program (ntia.gov)
- Tribal Broadband Planning Toolkit
- NTIA's Indicators of Broadband Need Map
United States Treasury
The American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) created two funds: the $350 billion Coronavirus State and Local Fiscal Recovery Fund, which provided funding to support states and localities response to and recovery from the COVID-19 public health emergency, and infrastructure projects including water, sewer and broadband deployment; and the $10 billion Capital Projects Fund, which was more focused on broadband projects managed by states.
- US Treasury Coronavirus State and Local Fiscal Recovery Fund
- US Treasury Capital Project Fund
Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
The FCC's programs focused on broadband access and adoption include; the Affordable Connectivity Program, E-Rate, the broadband data collection and mapping, and the Rural Digital Opportunity Fund (RDOF).
- Affordable Connectivity Program
- Fixed Broadband Deployment Map
- Broadband Data Collection
- The Rural Digital Opportunity Fund (RDOF) Auction
Department of Energy (DOE)
DOE administers energy related grant programs and funds research initiatives. The Department of Energy will be administering grants created under the bipartisan Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (IIJA) passed in 2021. These include smart grid funding, grid resiliency, transmission facilitation, clean energy programs, demonstration projects, and more.
- Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (IIJA) DOE Programs
- Better Grid Initiative
Department of Transportation (DOT)
DOT administers transportation grant programs related to electric vehicles (EVs). The Department of Energy will be administering EV infrastructure grants created under the bipartisan Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (IIJA) passed in 2021.